- The ELM327 Interface is a tool for diagnosing vehicles equipped with OBD II – EOBD – CAN systems normally found on American, European and Asian vehicles manufactured since 1996 and having the 16 pin diagnostic connector.
- This interface allows the connection to the vehicle's computer to read and erase DTCs error codes, the famous “CHECK ENGINE“ light and better called MIL. It also allows us to visualize the values of sensors and actuators of the engine in full operation.
- It is a great utility tool for professionals and individuals, because it allows to diagnose or monitor parameters of the vehicle. With the passage of the years and the increase of the electronics in the vehicles has been getting more and more complicated to find the faults and their solutions. For a professional it is essential to have a tool that is able to quickly indicate what problems has a vehicle, saving itself many hours in tests and errors looking for the causes of the failure.
- These devices have the possibility of automatically detecting the communication protocol with the ECU.
- It is very important to check that our vehicle has the OBD2 connector. If you do not have it, you could still use an ELM327 by connecting it with an adapter cable, also available in KMTienda: OBD2 connector cables
- The first vehicles compatible with these devices began in 1996 for gasoline and 2000 for diesel.
- This does not mean that all vehicles are compatible since then.
- To check the compatibilities, you can consult the database on this page: COMPATIBLE VEHICLES
The major advantages of ELM327 devices are:
- They are very economical compared to other diagnostic machines.
- Thanks to the fact that it has become a very widespread device there is a lot of software to use it, being able to find it in almost any language. For this same reason there is also a lot of information on the internet about it and in all languages.
- They do not allow the modification of configurations in the ECUs but in relation to the generic functionality they fulfill to perfection. They let you read error codes, delete them and read sensors in real time, among many other things.
- Great reading speed.
- To use it you need an additional device, either a smartphone or a computer. At first it could be seen as something negative but always depends on the utility that you want to give. It can be linked with a tablet integrated in the dashboard and can be consulted at any time.
It allows to read in real time different sensors, including:
- Engine revolutions.
- Calculated value of the load (percentage).
- Coolant temperature.
- State of the fuel system.
- Vehicle speed.
- Long-term adjustment of the fuel injection system.
- Intake manifold pressure.
- Advance the power-on time.
- Intake air temperature.
- Air flow at the intake (MAF).
- Absolute position of the regulating valve.
- Oxygen Sensor Voltages (O2 Lambda Sensor).
- Short-term adjustment of the fuel injection system.
- Fuel pressure in the injector rail.
Tips and some important limitations of ELM327 devices:
- The ELM327s are generic machines so can not be used on all vehicles, their compatibility rate is very high but it's not 100%. There are also models, such as Peugeot or Fiat, that usually give more connection problems than others.
- You can access very specific ECUs and, in general, can only read the faults reported by the engine. They do not have access to Airbag, ABS, air conditioning, etc.
- It doesn't allow to modify the mileage of the vehicle or the intervals of service. We will have to do it manually or with a more specific machine.
Some software compatible with this device:
- - For PC:
- ScanTool.net OBD-II software
- PCMScan para Windows
- - For smartphone Android:
- Torque Pro. There is Lite version although very limited.
- ScanMaster for ELM327.
- - For Apple devices: