ELM327 USB Configuration
- In this section only talk about the installation on computers with Windows OS.
- The USB version can be tested without a vehicle, because when it is connected to the USB port of the computer it receives enough power to operate, indicating this fact with the red led on. Logically, for the full test, it must be connected to the vehicle's OBD2 port.
- First of all, we will install the necessary drivers for the USB port. Something that we can achieve very easily following the steps of this video tutorial (with english subtitles soon):
- A little further down, in the download area of this page, you will find several USB controllers to test. I would start with the CH340 and, if it did not work, I would continue with the PL2303. They are compressed files in ZIP format.
- Once installed the required driver the computer will recognize the device without problems and we can use it with any compatible program.
- I always recommend the ScanMaster application for Windows because I consider it the most complete, intuitive and easy. In the SOFTWARE section you will find more information about this program, including its installation and configuration.
- I don't know if it can be used on linux or iOs systems. I imagine that for linux there will be drivers and aplications and for iOS will be more complicated. As always, I would appreciate any information about this, you can send me an email.
In Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 there is a problem with some PL2303 chips and driver. If, after installation, you verify that the computer detects the device but displays an error message with code 10 (you will see it in the device manager, in the COM port where it was detected), then there is a problem of this type. In the section Tricks and Tips you will find the solution to this problem explained in detail.