ELM327 WIFI Configuration
- This is the most compatible version in terms of linking devices (phones, PC, tablets, etc.). It can be used without problems with computers and with smartphones with Android system or iOs. That's why it is the perfect version for anyone who wants to use it with an Apple terminal, since you will not have to juggle to get it to work.
- The biggest drawback for Apple users is that they will have to buy in the AppStore a program to be able to use it while in Windows and Android systems you can find free software.
- As in the case of the bluetooth version the first thing of all will be to connect the device in the OBD2 port of the vehicle and make sure that it has the red indicator on, indicating it's in operation and it has created the Wi-Fi network to connect our computer or terminal.
- Now, let's proceed to link the ELM327 device. To do this, I will separate the process according to the system with which it will be used.
- In this case the linking is very fast and simple. It is the same as when connecting to the wifi network of a router (the network that we have at home). Just enter the configuration of the WI-FI of our terminal, search for WIFI networks if it does not automatically and connect to the one labeled "OBD2", "OBDII", "ELM327" or some similar.
- Usually we will not be asked for any password to connect. In case it happens it may be 12345.
- Now we have the link successfully done and we only have to install some software to use the ELM327 device. In the SOFTWARE section you will find lots of information about software to use these devices in Android systems. I always recommend the Torque PRO application because I consider it to be the most complete, intuitive and easy.
PC with Windows OS
- The steps to make the link between the PC and the OBD2 are very simple. If our PC does not have a WIFI connection we can attach a WIFI USB adapter to get it. They are very economical and very useful. In KMTienda you will find them at a very good price.
- Just open the windows WIFI configuration, look for the ELM327 device, select it and you're done. If you are asked for a key try 12345. This process will only need to be done the first time. On the following occasions the linking will be done automatically.
- When linking an ELM327 device sometimes does not appear with a normal name, such as "obd2" or "elm327", and can be indicated as a MAC address of XX style: XX: XX: XX: XX, where X can be numbers or letters.
- In the SOFTWARE section you will find lots of information about software to use these devices in Windows systems. I always recommend the ScanMaster app because I consider it to be the most complete, intuitive and easy.
- I will indicate the steps to follow in windows 10 and in windows 7:
* To access the section for the search for WIFI devices in Windows 10, we have to click on the "Start" button in Windows 10 and then go to "Settings". We will have a screen with several options to choose from, and in our case we will enter "Networks and Internet".
* On the left side you have a list with several options available, and in our case we will choose the so-called "WI-FI", accessing the WI-FI section.
* If we do not have it activated we will activate it and then we will choose the option "Show available networks". A window will open with all the WIFI networks we can connect to. We will select the one corresponding to the ELM327 device and we will be connected to it.
* To access the WI-FI configuration in windows 7 we must click on the "Start" button and choose the option "Control Panel".
* Once here, in the group "Networks and Internet", we will choose the option "View status and network tasks".
* Finally we will look for the option "Connect to a network" and we will select it. It will automatically open a window with all the WIFI networks that we can connect to. We will select the one corresponding to the ELM327 device and we will connect to it.
- The method for connecting WI-FI to the ELM327 device is the same on all iOs but may not be its configuration. So I will indicate the process to connect an ELM327 to a terminal with iOs to use DashCommand.
- First, look for the WIFI network the ELM327 device has created. Once found we will connect to it. In case of requesting a key it is very possible that it's 12345.
- Once we have connected to the WIFI network of the ELM327 device we have to edit it, click on it, and configure it as follows:
- IP Address "STATIC"
- IP Address: 192.168.0.11
- SubNet Mask: 255.255.255.0
- Router: 192.168.0.10 (This value should already be this way)
- Now we have the perfect configuration for the DashCommand program and for most apps in the iOs environment. However, it's not all the work done because to use DashCommand it is very possible that you have to configure it properly. You can learn how in the following link: DashCommand